Sunday, May 9, 2010

Pell Grants in Higher Education

Pell Grants in higher education is vital to those who cannot afford to put themselves through school. With a new act in federal legislation that cuts the middle man ( private banks) out of the equation, students not only in Texas will still be able to recieve the amount they need. Without this new legislation, it was talked about that there might have to be cuts in the amount each person could recieve to meet a certain budget. With the way that the economy is, tuition is going to be rising and people just can't afford to not recieve the gift of a pell grant in the amount that they need.
The way that the federal government is going to do this, is to phase out the banks that the students would be paying for their federal student loans and have the student pay directly to the federal government. This cuts out a cost that can go towards the pot of pell grant money.
Even though I personally don't recieve pell grants or student loans, I believe that in the future it may come to that and it makes me feel reassured that there is help for higher education. I know many people personally that rely on pell grants and loans that would suffer emmensely without them. Way to go new legislation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Austin, Texas, United States
I consider myself an Independent that has sort of been leaning more republican my whole life because of family influences. I am open minded about most issues and like to hear both sides. I am interested in taking this class to gain a better understanding of Texas Government and all that comes along with it. I believe that I will get beneficial knowlege for the future out of this.